Wednesday, November 10, 2010

We're Going on a Bear Hunt














I need to step it up in the craft department. I have 2 kids who LOVE crafts and truth be told, the other night they snuck down to the basement to "craft". Their version of crafting included watercolors, old business letter head paper, and glitter...handfuls of glitter! So, after I de-glitterized the basement and banned them from all paint, I thought that maybe I should offer a few more mommy lead crafts so that they don't have to sneak off to get their fix.

So, here's some fun that we're working on at our house. If you're not a big fan of this book, copy the idea and use it with any book that your kids love. I'm happy to report that it promotes literacy,(you can use that line to impress other moms, pediatricians, and teachers) and your kids can actually play with it and re-tell the story when they're done.

We're Going on a Bear Hunt is a classic children's book. The repetition of the text makes it an easy read for early readers! Here's what we did:








I stapled together 6 pages of construction paper, 1 for the title page and then 1 page for each of the "oh no" adventures....grass, river, mud, forest, snowstorm, and cave.









For my 3 year old, I made the backgrounds and for my 6 year old, I helped. Then, using a paper trimmer, make a slit in each background. Be sure to leave a margin so you do not cut the paper all the way to the edges.










Color people shaped popsicle sticks to use as bear hunting characters. You can also glue on a paper person to a regular popsicle stick.










Have your kids draw or sticker in details to the pages. We plan to add flowers to the grass page, foot prints to the mud page, forest animals to the forest page, fish to the river page, and a bear, of course, to our cave page.





Kids can re-tell the story using their own book! Help them slide their characters through the slot on each page of the bear hunt. Encourage them to use the pattern, "Oh no! ________ We can't go over it. We can't go under it. Oh no, we have to go through it!"




Happy bear hunting!

This post is a part of Things I Love Thursday.

7 comments:

The Popas said...

Okay. You just may be the world's best mommy :)
Great idea! Totally beats our re-enactment of the story while waiting for the pizza to come to our table the other night. My "creativity" led to pounding the table, spilled waters, and annoyed onlookers! :)

Parenting in blue jeans said...

Oh no, do not be fooled! I am far from world's best mommy! My daughter sat in fromt of the 36" babysitter....A.K.A. T.V., today for a PBS marathon.

cafeaumommy said...

I am VERY impressed with your craftiness!

Cindy Bultema said...

Very fun! You inspire me ~ this book was one of my kids' favorites!
Thanks for sharing!
Cindy :)

Betsy (Eco-novice) said...

How funny,I have been reading this book lots with my 1-year-old while she sits on the potty. Both my kids love it. What a great idea!

christyd said...

I love this! I am going to bookmark and use this for those cold days coming up when we need a project to do!

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

What a great idea for such a classic story.